January 5, 2012

New Year, New Start

I typically always welcome a new year, but 2012 has been hard to welcome because I feel like 2011 was quite possibly my best year yet - filled with milestones, lots of changes, and so much love. I remember one year my dad grew a beard for the last few months of the year (my siblings and I hated it) and then miraculously he woke each of us kids up on New Years Day with a clean shaven look. I looked at him a little startled and asked, "why did you shave?" Dad answered with "It is a new year. Time for a new start." And, that has always stuck with me. 

So, here is to a new year and a new start even though I am trying to hold onto 2011 with all my might. I am letting go in the hopes that 2012 will be just as good. My mother-in-law has this thing where she chooses one word to live by for the entire year. I've never been really good at sticking to my resolutions, even though I make them every year so I decided to simplify a bit and pick just one word to be my motto for the year. You ready?

My 2012 word is:

FOCUS

"If life and its rushed pace and many stresses have made it difficult for you to feel like rejoicing, then perhaps now is a good time to refocus on what matters most."
-Dieter F. Uchtdorf

In all the chaos, events, trials, and daily life that surround me I've realized that I need to slow down and really "focus" on what is most important - of things that matter most to me:
-My relationship with God
-My family
-My education/career
-My health

I know that seems like a lot of things to "focus" on, but part of my goal is to really "focus" and be in tune with each one. I've realized that I can't divide my attention to different things at a time (no matter how hard I try to fold laundry and play with Hudson at the same time - it can't happen). And, because multi-tasking doesn't really work for me or for anyone else (see here).

Each thing I do requires my full, focused attention. I hope that as I focus my life on the things that do matter the most, I will be able to focus inward and really get to know who I am - my strengths, my capabilities, and the type of person God wants me to be. 

4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year!! I hope 2012 will bring even more blessings to your family.

    I love how your goal is to really stay FOCUS on the things that are important in your life! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Abby! I feel the exact same as you do. I am not to thrilled with 2012...but your positive outlook has helped me. I also love the one word...focus. I need to do that too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great Abby! Truly inspirational and thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete