Hudson started Pre-K (4YO class) beginning of September, three times a week for just a few hours in the morning. He was a little nervous for his first day, but he has loved it ever since starting all those months ago. His teachers, Ms. Leanna & Ms. Marcie, are super nice and personable. They call him "Hud" which I think is the best and they always tell me how they can't believe how much he knows about animals/dinosaurs. (He's his daddy's son after all). I am so proud of Hudson and I'm going to dread the day I have to send him to "real" school (probably next year for Kindergarten*).
*Hudson's birthday is in July (which is super close to the August 31st cut-off for Kindergarten here in NC). We are unsure about whether or not to send him next year as he will be a "young" 5 year old and we just have some mixed feelings about it all. We have applied to a bunch of charter schools in the area though and will wait to hear back from them before we pray and make a decision (unfortunately, the public school we are zoned for is a no-go as it is in the inner-city and does not have high ratings).
We have seen Hud grow so much this school year. He's really come out of his shell at preschool and is making friends. His teachers comment about how well he listens to details (wish that was all the time at home, but you know -- you win some, you lose some). He's also very inquisitive. I love the questions he comes up with.
He knows his ABCs, numbers 1-20, can write his name fairly well, and is interested in learning to read. Most of these things have been him wanting to do it on his own which we were thrilled about. We try not to push too hard and just have him go on his own pace. He's loved the Letter Factory DVD since he was little and that was huge with him getting to know his ABCs and their sounds (highly recommend it). We've been working on the reading, but it's all really slow because I want it to be something HE wants to do. We tried "Teaching Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons" but that was kind of a fail since he got really bored with it. We are working on BOB books now which he seems to like, but again taking it very slowly. I just love this little boy and how excited he is about learning! He is full of questions and we love that about him!
No comments:
Post a Comment