Hudson DOES cry. Logan and I always get comments on how great a baby Hudson is because they never hear him cry. Well, he certainly is a great baby! But he does cry when he gets really tired or hungry - more so when he is tired! Take a look...
This was a few weeks ago. We lost track of time and kept Hudson up a little past his bed time (which is typically around 9:30-10PM). Well, it was not a good thing because Hudson was cranky. I decided to snap a few pictures on the camera phone just so everyone (myself included) will always remember that H does cry. Doesn't that crying face just break your heart? Ours too. Don't worry, he didn't cry long after I picked him up, gave him kisses, fed him, and rocked him to sleep. He is a boy that knows what he wants and we love him to pieces!
Mom Question: Do/did you let your baby cry himself to sleep? At what age did you start this? I normally don't let Hudson cry himself to sleep at bed time just because I really enjoy rocking or nursing him to sleep, plus I think going to bed should be a calming experience. But I really want him to learn to put himself to sleep. I've tried letting him cry for nap time, but he only gets louder especially when he loses his pacifier (he is pretty dependent on it) and will only sleep for 30-45 minutes. Any ideas or suggestion on how to do this without using the crying technique? Or, should I just keep trying? I would love to hear your suggestions and what worked for you. Thanks!!
cute kid! we just let Michael cry and after night 2 he was trained. it's so different for everyone - so good luck! there are some great books that have different training ideas - like going in every five minutes and patting his back and talking to him but not picking him up, etc.
ReplyDeleteSo cute even when he's crying! I struggled with the idea of letting Graham cry himself to sleep for so long ... too long because after six months of no sleep I was one tired/crazy mom--and Graham wasn't sleeping well either, even if I wasn't letting him cry. I recommend the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. I like that it is based on research--and that he says nothing is wrong with soothing your baby to sleep. The basic premise is having a routine before bed and sticking to the routine. The author also emphasizes early bedtimes (like 6 or 7--which seemed so early at first, until it worked like a charm). This has helped so much!!! But like April said--it is so different for everyone. We let Graham cry for bedtimes and even nap times and it was so so hard (lasted about a week)---but now he sleeps so well--it's amazing and he still loves me and is a happy, attached baby. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteWe let Candon start crying it out for bedtime about the time he turned four months old, and he cried less each night, and now most nights he doesn't cry at all (we do soothe him so he is drowsy first - we have been reading the same book that your friend Kimber recommends and it is really good). Putting him to bed earlier (we put himn down by 8) has been the best thing for his sleeping.
ReplyDelete