This is a really long, detailed post of Amelia's birth. Feel free to skip to the bottom for pictures.
Friday, September 20th:
I went in for an appointment. I was 37 weeks and 2 days along. I was getting curious about my progress and wanted to be checked. I could definitely tell the baby dropped and was feeling extra pressure in my pelvic area. Plus, Logan and Hudson were planning to go up to VA for the weekend since Kate (Logan's sister) was having her missionary farewell talk at church on Sunday; I wanted to make sure I wasn't dilated or anything before I let them go. My midwife (Heather) was a little skeptical about checking me. She said they don't normally check the cervix until 38 weeks, and to not be disappointed if there was no progress.
Well, she checked me and we found out I was already 4cm dilated, 50% effaced, and the baby was in the -1 position. Holy cow! She said my cervix was still posterior, but that as soon as it moved to the front - I would be having a baby in no time! She said I was highly favorable to go early, and advised me to tell Logan to stay home for the weekend - just in case.
At this point, I was freaking out a little bit because I wasn't expecting to have a baby until October. I immediately called my mom after the appointment, and we decided she should come down ASAP (she came the next day).
My mom and I spent the next few days running errands and getting the house cleaned in preparation for baby girl. We went on walks around the lake and the mall to stimulate labor, but nothing happened so we just kept waiting. I was having some contractions, but nothing consistent or painful.
Wednesday, September 25th:
I went in for my 38 week appointment in the afternoon (exactly two weeks from my due date). I met with Heather again, and we talked about how we were both surprised I was not with a baby yet. She checked my cervix to see what was going on. I was about 6 cm dilated, 80% effaced, and the baby was in the -1 position. But with NO strong contractions. What?!
I asked what my options were. I had two:
1) Go home and wait it out
OR
2) Get my water broken either that night or tomorrow (after getting approval from the doctor)
A bunch of things started running through my mind. I was hesitant to go home and wait it out because we live 30 minutes away from the hospital. Hudson came so fast (see his birth story here), and I knew baby girl would come quickly too - especially being 6 cm dilated already. I did not want to have a baby at home or in the car. I was also hesitant to get my water broken because I wanted this baby to come on her own without medical intervention. I wanted my body to do what it was suppose to do.
I had a bunch of questions for Heather about getting my water broken - would it be painful? what are the risks to baby and me? would I still be able to do it naturally? would I be getting pitocin after getting my water broken? how fast would contractions begin? what happens if breaking my water doesn't stimulate labor for me?
Heather answered my questions and reassured me that everything would be okay - that breaking my water would be similar to as if it had broke at home. Given my history, she did not think I would be in labor very long after getting my water broken since I was already at a 6 and that giving me pitocin was also highly unlikely. She also said she needed to run this scenario by the doctor before we go ahead with anything. I told her to go check and that I would call my husband.
I called Logan and told him the options. It was already late afternoon, and he was getting done with classes. He told me both of those options sounded good to him, but that it was my decision. I told him I was leaning toward having the baby tonight or tomorrow. I told him I would call him back after getting the doctor's approval. I sat there for a few minutes waiting for Heather to get back from talking to the doctor. I said a quick little prayer and felt good about the decision to get my water broken.
Heather came back with the doctor's decision. The doctor (Dr. Grana) said my symptoms were early labor indications, but that my cervix was in active labor so I was given the green light to get my water broken, but it had to be tonight. I was hoping I could do it that night anyway because I knew Heather was on call and so was Dr. Grana, two people I really like/prefer at the practice.
So, I said let's do it. Heather called the hospital and said she would see me later that evening.
I went home to eat a small dinner, get my things, and check on Hudson/my mom. Logan gave me a blessing and we said goodbye to Hudson (who was so sweet and kept saying "bye Mom, get Mia"). I was a little worried about Logan because he was not feeling well earlier that day, but he kept saying not to worry about him and that he was ready for baby girl to come. What a champ!
We got to the hospital at 7:30 pm. It was such a different experience walking up to the hospital, not in any pain, and just checking in to have a baby. It felt like we were on a date, but of course we knew things were going to get intense pretty quickly.
We got into the Labor & Delivery room and met our awesome nurse (Peggy). I got hooked up to the monitors, had blood drawn, and a hep-lock administered. Peggy asked if I wanted an epidural since it would take an hour or so to get, but I declined. I felt pretty confident and ready to birth without meds, especially with being so far dilated.
I was still not having any painful or strong contractions at this point, but I was getting nervous about what was going to happen.
outside the hospital
We got into the Labor & Delivery room and met our awesome nurse (Peggy). I got hooked up to the monitors, had blood drawn, and a hep-lock administered. Peggy asked if I wanted an epidural since it would take an hour or so to get, but I declined. I felt pretty confident and ready to birth without meds, especially with being so far dilated.
I was still not having any painful or strong contractions at this point, but I was getting nervous about what was going to happen.
ready to get the show on the road
(before getting my water broken and real contractions started)
At 8:30 pm, Heather came into my room to break my water. It was a quick, painless procedure. It felt like I peed my pants, but couldn't stop it from coming out. Weird feeling. Heather said she would be back to check on me in about an hour, and that hopefully I wouldn't be smiling by then.
My plan was to take a quick nap, walk around, and then labor in the jacuzzi tub. I couldn't really nap though, so we watched some TV and played on our phones. Then, a little after 9 pm, I felt a strong contraction. I was still laying down on the bed, but they started coming every 5 minutes. I finally decided to get up and try walking around. We walked the hallway twice, stopping every few minutes because of a contraction - felt like really bad menstrual cramps. We got back to our room and I rocked on the exercise ball for a little while. More water kept leaking from me, and I told Logan to start the jacuzzi tub because I wanted to labor in there for awhile.
It felt really good to be in the tub, but contractions were stronger and I was so ready to get her out of me. Logan massaged my back and told me to breathe with each contraction - such a great coach! I get into my own little world when laboring. I zone out and get really quiet while breathing through each contraction. The nurses commented later about how impressed they were with my control.
Peggy came back to check on me and she could tell I was getting close, so she went to get Heather. I got out of the tub and back on the bed so they could hook me up to monitor the baby and contractions. This was about 10:30 pm.
Heather came to check my cervix and at that point I was 9 1/2 cm, 100% effaced, and baby was at +2 position. It was time to delivery the baby! Everyone started getting ready. There were only a handful of people in the room: Peggy, Heather, a midwife student (forgot her name - maybe Tracy), two other nurses (for the baby), and Logan. Heather told me I could push whenever I felt like it, so I started with little pushes while they were getting everything ready for delivery.
Logan held my hand and I started the real pushing around 10:45 pm. Pushing was a lot harder this time around because I did it faster and pushed through longer. *With Hudson, I took long breaks in between and did it with short pushes.* I was crying and grunting pretty loudly. I would let the contraction build up, and then push as hard and long as I could. I kept thinking (I may have said it out loud) "Owwww! Please, please just get her out of me!" Heather looked at me and with a serious tone said, "Abby, focus! You can do this!" It almost felt like she was yelling at me, but it worked. I snapped back to reality and just kept thinking I can do this. I was getting close.
Finally, Heather told me that on the next push the baby could be out, so I gave it everything I could. Baby girl started to crown, and I felt that burning sensation so strongly that I kept pushing through it which is why I tore (they told me too late to stop pushing).
Amelia was born at 11:09 pm, after about 4 long pushes. Whew! I got to hold her immediately. Oh my gosh! Holding her for the first time was such a sweet, tender moment. I couldn't believe she was finally here! We let the cord finish pulsating and then Logan cut the cord. Amelia got cleaned up, measured, etc. with daddy by her side. I delivered the placenta and got stitched because of the small tear (definitely not as bad as with Hudson).
The first thing everyone said was how big she was, much bigger than her older brother was at birth. Prior to all this, Logan had guessed she would be 6 pounds 1 ounce - not even close. She is a chunky thing - 8 pounds 2 ounces and 20 1/2 inches. That is a big baby for being two weeks early, and for someone petite like me. Heather said if I made it to my due date she would have been at least 9 pounds - how do I have such big babies?! The first thing I noticed about Amelia was just how beautiful she is with lots of dark hair and her button nose. She looks a lot like Hudson did when he was born.
The process was hard work, but I'm so glad it happened quickly (about 2 1/2 hours of labor from when they broke my water). I am really blessed to have short (but intense) labors, especially with how far dilated I get before contractions really start hurting. I am also really glad I was able to birth naturally again. I was able to trust my body, and felt so much confidence in my ability to bring a baby into the world. I felt the same way with Hudson's birth and hoped it would happen with Amelia's birth. And it did. It's such a empowering experience, and one that I am glad I got to do not once but twice! Wow. Such an amazing, powerful feeling!
Amelia was so worth all the waiting and the pain! She nursed like a champ almost immediately. We got to be together for about an hour in the L&D room to just soak it all in before getting moved to the other room. I felt so much gratitude for my Heavenly Father in those quiet moments - to have one healthy new baby in my arms, another sleeping soundly at home, and a loving husband by my side. It doesn't get much better than that.
We are all doing great. Hudson is slowly learning what it means to be a big brother, and that Amelia isn't a baby doll he can poke and hold whenever he wants. I am recovering really well; a lot better than with Hudson. Amelia is doing great too. Excellent nurser and a peaceful little sleeper (so far). She is just so sweet. I am so grateful that I get to be her mother, and that Heavenly Father chose our family for her to be in!
About her name - we have LOVED the name Amelia for a long time (while I was pregnant with Hudson). I kept bringing up new girl names, but Logan was always pretty adamant about Amelia so it just stuck. We will call her Mia for short, at least that is what Hudson calls her. Her middle name is Linh (pronounced Lynn). We decided to use the Asian spelling to represent my family's heritage; it's also my mom's name and the last part of my middle name. In Vietnamese, it means gentle spirit or soul.
My plan was to take a quick nap, walk around, and then labor in the jacuzzi tub. I couldn't really nap though, so we watched some TV and played on our phones. Then, a little after 9 pm, I felt a strong contraction. I was still laying down on the bed, but they started coming every 5 minutes. I finally decided to get up and try walking around. We walked the hallway twice, stopping every few minutes because of a contraction - felt like really bad menstrual cramps. We got back to our room and I rocked on the exercise ball for a little while. More water kept leaking from me, and I told Logan to start the jacuzzi tub because I wanted to labor in there for awhile.
It felt really good to be in the tub, but contractions were stronger and I was so ready to get her out of me. Logan massaged my back and told me to breathe with each contraction - such a great coach! I get into my own little world when laboring. I zone out and get really quiet while breathing through each contraction. The nurses commented later about how impressed they were with my control.
Peggy came back to check on me and she could tell I was getting close, so she went to get Heather. I got out of the tub and back on the bed so they could hook me up to monitor the baby and contractions. This was about 10:30 pm.
Heather came to check my cervix and at that point I was 9 1/2 cm, 100% effaced, and baby was at +2 position. It was time to delivery the baby! Everyone started getting ready. There were only a handful of people in the room: Peggy, Heather, a midwife student (forgot her name - maybe Tracy), two other nurses (for the baby), and Logan. Heather told me I could push whenever I felt like it, so I started with little pushes while they were getting everything ready for delivery.
Logan held my hand and I started the real pushing around 10:45 pm. Pushing was a lot harder this time around because I did it faster and pushed through longer. *With Hudson, I took long breaks in between and did it with short pushes.* I was crying and grunting pretty loudly. I would let the contraction build up, and then push as hard and long as I could. I kept thinking (I may have said it out loud) "Owwww! Please, please just get her out of me!" Heather looked at me and with a serious tone said, "Abby, focus! You can do this!" It almost felt like she was yelling at me, but it worked. I snapped back to reality and just kept thinking I can do this. I was getting close.
Finally, Heather told me that on the next push the baby could be out, so I gave it everything I could. Baby girl started to crown, and I felt that burning sensation so strongly that I kept pushing through it which is why I tore (they told me too late to stop pushing).
Amelia was born at 11:09 pm, after about 4 long pushes. Whew! I got to hold her immediately. Oh my gosh! Holding her for the first time was such a sweet, tender moment. I couldn't believe she was finally here! We let the cord finish pulsating and then Logan cut the cord. Amelia got cleaned up, measured, etc. with daddy by her side. I delivered the placenta and got stitched because of the small tear (definitely not as bad as with Hudson).
The first thing everyone said was how big she was, much bigger than her older brother was at birth. Prior to all this, Logan had guessed she would be 6 pounds 1 ounce - not even close. She is a chunky thing - 8 pounds 2 ounces and 20 1/2 inches. That is a big baby for being two weeks early, and for someone petite like me. Heather said if I made it to my due date she would have been at least 9 pounds - how do I have such big babies?! The first thing I noticed about Amelia was just how beautiful she is with lots of dark hair and her button nose. She looks a lot like Hudson did when he was born.
first picture of me with my baby girl
those cheeks!!!
The process was hard work, but I'm so glad it happened quickly (about 2 1/2 hours of labor from when they broke my water). I am really blessed to have short (but intense) labors, especially with how far dilated I get before contractions really start hurting. I am also really glad I was able to birth naturally again. I was able to trust my body, and felt so much confidence in my ability to bring a baby into the world. I felt the same way with Hudson's birth and hoped it would happen with Amelia's birth. And it did. It's such a empowering experience, and one that I am glad I got to do not once but twice! Wow. Such an amazing, powerful feeling!
Amelia was so worth all the waiting and the pain! She nursed like a champ almost immediately. We got to be together for about an hour in the L&D room to just soak it all in before getting moved to the other room. I felt so much gratitude for my Heavenly Father in those quiet moments - to have one healthy new baby in my arms, another sleeping soundly at home, and a loving husband by my side. It doesn't get much better than that.
first wink caught on camera
isn't she a chunk?
the best "first" family picture we could get
Hud's holding his bear that Mia got him (sibling present)
Logan is wearing a shirt/tie because he had to go in for a quick meeting the next morning
meeting his sissy for the first time
precious moment
love my babies
Grandma & Grandpa Sangbouasy
first car ride (going home)
finally at home
We are all doing great. Hudson is slowly learning what it means to be a big brother, and that Amelia isn't a baby doll he can poke and hold whenever he wants. I am recovering really well; a lot better than with Hudson. Amelia is doing great too. Excellent nurser and a peaceful little sleeper (so far). She is just so sweet. I am so grateful that I get to be her mother, and that Heavenly Father chose our family for her to be in!
About her name - we have LOVED the name Amelia for a long time (while I was pregnant with Hudson). I kept bringing up new girl names, but Logan was always pretty adamant about Amelia so it just stuck. We will call her Mia for short, at least that is what Hudson calls her. Her middle name is Linh (pronounced Lynn). We decided to use the Asian spelling to represent my family's heritage; it's also my mom's name and the last part of my middle name. In Vietnamese, it means gentle spirit or soul.
Amelia Linh is the perfect addition to our family! We already love her so so much!
Congratulations!!! She is a cutie!
ReplyDeleteum can I just say you look amazing!?! I'm so jealous of your natural births! What champ! So excited for you!
ReplyDeleteHow sweet. I think that you are so brave and wonderful. Congratulations again!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI loved this post. You are inspiring! Congrats on your beautiful little girl! I love the name Amelia Linh!
ReplyDeleteWay to go, girl! You rock. Thanks for sharing the story and have fun with that little beauty!
ReplyDelete