This year for Thanksgiving, we decided to go be with family in VA. The kids and I went up a week early on a plane, thanks to some super cheap tickets this year from a Frontier Airlines promo. It worked out just fine, except our flight was delayed by 1 1/2 hours. It was already a late evening flight, and being delayed just made it that much later. Tired kids, tired momma but we finally got back to my parents house after midnight and slept in the next morning.
We did a bunch while we were there (see pictures). It is always a treat going home and seeing family. Sometimes we wish we lived closer, but it just makes it that much more special when we get to visit like this. I'm so grateful for our parents. They are so good to us. They are so supportive, giving, encouraging, and are our best examples. It means the world to Logan and I to have such incredible parents. We love them and cherish our relationships with them. I don't know what it is, but after having my own kids --- I totally appreciate my parents and my husband's parents so much more. I did before, but it's a a deeper appreciation and love for what they have given and continue to give us. Maybe it's because I am finally getting a glimpse (raising my own crazy kids) what they went through raising us. :) Puts things in a little more perspective, I guess. I can't quite put it into words, but I feel so fortunate to have them. I have been thinking a lot about family relationships lately, and how blessed Logan and I are to have our parents alive and healthy, and to have the kind of relationship we do have with them. Not all families get that and we count our blessings every day that we have such special people in our lives and in our kids' lives.
Now on to the pictures....
Plane ride to VA. It was way past bed time. Neither kid slept. Just my luck.
My parents have a persimmon tree.
Hudson was obsessed with picking them. I think it was because he was allowed to climb the ladder.
Grammy and Grandpa Corbett's house.
Hudson was pretty excited to find tadpoles in the backyard with Gramps, and he loved the deer antlers too.
My parents and I took the kids to the Manassas battlefield, one of my favorite spots in my hometown. So much history here, but for our family too. Logan proposed to me here 6 years ago. It was so fun taking the kids and letting them run wild. The lighting was also perfect for a few pictures.
Girls' night with my sissy and mom to watch Hunger Games. So fun!
My siblings and I went into DC one day. We took the kids to the Natural History Museum. Hudson was so bummed there were no dinosaurs on exhibit. He didn't believe me when I told him, so we had to ask a museum worker and let him hear it from her. It was so sad. I can't believe it will be 5 years until it is finished. Crossing my fingers Hudson will still be in the dinosaur phase then. Oh heck, he will be -- he is Logan's kid after all.
Meanwhile, while we were having fun up north. Logan was home getting some projects done -- garage shelving and entry way bench. He's THE best. We ended up sanding and staining the bench, but using it as a dining room bench instead. Love it!
We took it easy a few days because Hudson got sick. We couldn't figure out what was wrong. He had a fever, but no other symptoms until he threw up one day. He was just lethargic most of the time and wanted to take naps (what? this kid never wants to sleep during the day). It was sad because we missed seeing some friends during that time too. I was so bummed, but we stayed in and hung out with my grandma (who recently moved in with my parents). Love her!
Favorite temple = DC! Loved going with my mother-in-law one morning.
We were planning to go to NYC for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. I kept going back and forth over whether or not we should go because of Hudson still being sick. This was a selfish move on my part because I really wanted to go to the parade and couldn't say "no" to a NYC trip. Love the city so much! I left Amelia with my parents and dragged a sick Hudson along. Logan was driving up from Charlotte this day (he wasn't too sad to miss this so I didn't feel that bad going without him).
First stop was Carlo's Bake Shop (from Cake Boss). I think Hudson's cupcake was the first time I saw his face light up after being sick. Sweet boy.
I was finally able to see the Brooklyn Bridge. It was super cold and rainy, but Delilas and I did it. So glad she likes crazy adventures! I left Hudson at the hotel asleep with the rest of the family because he was still not feeling great.
THE PARADE! Delilas woke up super early to claim our spots. Bless her. Everyone else joined later. We passed the New York temple walking to the parade. It's such a pretty site. The parade was so much fun! I loved the energy and seeing it live. Hudson wasn't particular thrilled. Sad. He was super squirmy, sleepy, and just wanted me to hold him. I was so sad when he fell asleep half way through the parade and missed Santa (the best part). Poor kid, but he was a trooper coming with his crazy mom and the Corbetts (plus friends).
Lunch date with my parents and without the kiddos. It was so fun getting to talk to them and eat at one of my favorite places (Sweetwater). I think we might make this a tradition every time we come home.
Driving home through Charlottesville, VA -- such a beautiful place!
Video: Stopped to eat dinner on the way home and the kids started dancing.
Video: Now I am probably going to get in big trouble for posting this, but this is why I love the Corbett family. They can turn anything into a game and bring fun wherever they go -- all the while laughing at themselves (after the fact) for looking ridiculous.
No comments:
Post a Comment